A Storied History, Presidential Visit & More
Mississippi’s oldest golf course was built in 1908 as a nine-hole course to accommodate tourists staying at the Great Southern Hotel owned by the founder of Gulfport, Captain Joseph T. Jones. The hotel itself was located in downtown Gulfport and the golf course was a short ride down the beach. The Donald Ross designed course was built by Charles Nieman, a contractor out of New Orleans, at the request of Bert Jones, a Harvard graduate and the son of the founder of Gulfport, Captain Jones.
In 1913 Woodrow Wilson, President of the United Stales, spent his Christmas holidays on the Coast playing the course everyday except Sunday and was photographed in front of the existing clubhouse swinging a club. He stated that it was one of the finest and most beautiful courses that he had ever played.